Butternut squash with leeks - a great tea-time veggie option...
- about a quarter of a butternut squash, cubed
- a handful of frozen peas
- 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- about half a bag of fresh spinach (you can add more if you like as it disappears to nothing and is full of goodness)
- half a pint vegetable stock (low in salt, preferably homemade)
- a knob of unsalted butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the squash and leeks and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the veg stock over the squash and leeks until covered. Simmer until the squash is soft (about 15 mins).
- Add the peas to the pan for 3 minutes.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and remove any large stalks. Add to the pan of veg for a minute until just wilted.
- Remove the veg from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and transfer into a jug or large bowl. Blend with a stick blender to the required consistency for your baby (you can add more liquid from the pan to make it smoother)
Makes 4-6 servings (3-4oz pots)
Suitable for freezing.
This makes a delicious soup for you if you fancy making a bigger batch.