Driving along in my automobile, my baby behind me at the wheel....
Group 0 - from birth up to 10kg/22lbs - approx. birth to 6-9 months
1. Maxi-Cosi Pebble - we both have the Pebble and would highly recommend it - R's baby is big and K's is small and they have both been very happy and comfy in this car seat. It's lightweight and easily fits onto most buggies. Buy it here. It fits the FamilyFix isofix base if you want a sturdier ride for your baby and have isofix points in your car. Buy here.
2. Britax Dualfix - suitable from birth up to 4 years. A rear or forward facing seat that lasts for years. A good investment with great reviews.
3. Besafe Izi Combi - everything you need to cover car safety from birth until 4 years. We like Besafe products as they are strong, sturdy and comfortable and come in a range of colours.
Group 1 - from 9kg(20lbs) up to 18kg(40lbs) - approx. 9 months to 4 years
The following seats are designed to keep your child rear facing for longer as rear facing seats provide more head and neck protection in the event of an accident. We feel strongly about car safety and have only recommended car seats which meet current EU regulations and allow your child to face backwards for an extended period after growing out of the group 0 baby seat.
1. Besafe Izi Plus - A brilliant option from 6 months onwards. It is designed to keep your child rear facing for longer (up to 5 years old!) and has side protection as well as being comfy and sturdy. We've heard the law is going to change in the next few years that children must sit rearwards until a certain age so this is a good investment if you're thinking of having more babies (plus it's much safer!) The downside is that it can only be attached with a seatbelt rather than an isofix base but still a safe and secure option in our opinion.
2. Maxi-Cosi Axissfix - a swivelling seat which allows rearfacing up to 87cm. Super comfy and very easy to get baby in and out with the swivel feature. The base is sold with the seat so no need for fiddling about with isofix bases. R has this one and it's great!
3. Britax dualfix - similar to the Axissfix.
4. Maxi-Cosi 2wayPearl i-size - this seat can also face rearwards or forwards and allows the same leg room than the Axissfix. However, it doesn't swivel. The 2way base is sold separately. K just bought this one and is very happy with it so far.