The most relaxing shower you'll have for a while...
1. Books. Our favourites are Each Peach Pear Plum, The Crocodile Under The Bed, Ten Little Fingers and The Hungry Caterpillar. K went to a baby shower once where everyone was asked to bring their favourite book from childhood and write a message in it. See our list of favourite children's books for more ideas.
2. A back seat mirror for the car. These attach to the back seat of the car so that you can see baby in your rear view mirror. We both have the Diono Easy View Mirror.
3. A Gentle Mamas box - a whole heap of organic, gentle, gorgeous goodies for new mum's and mum's to be. We absolutely love their selection of luxurious and natural products, and it's all really useful stuff too. Check them out at www.gentlemamas.co.uk
4. Something personalised. Mabel Does has gorgeous personalised prints which make lovely presents for a new baby. There is also lots of choice of prints on Not on the High Street. We also like the Wooden Name Train by The Letteroom, which makes a great toy for baby too.
5. A zip up swaddle. The Comfort & Harmony Peanut Swaddle is brilliant, baby Clara started sleeping for way longer when she was put in one of these for the first time.
6. Baby milestone cards. Capture your baby's development over time with these sweet cards. We also love the alternative milestones from Pudding & Chops, they include 'today I pooed in the bath' and 'today mummy got to pee in peace' and we think they make a great gift. Buy here.
7. Wooden toys - we love love love wooden toys and little ones do too. Have a look at our list of favourites here.
9. An ear thermometer. These are supposedly more accurate than mouth thermometers and we've found them easy to use. The Braun IRT 3020 Thermoscan is good.
11. Tomy Hide 'n' Squeak Eggs. Babies seem to love these! Buy them here.
12. A tummy time roller. There are loads on the market, Mamas and Papas sell a nice one here.
Note: If you decide to buy clothes for your friend's baby, it is worth buying them a size up so they get the maximum wear (e.g. for newborns, buy 3-6 month size outfits). Remember to think about the change in seasons if you buy clothes for when baby is older!